Buncrana Navigation Light Award
As the Tidy Towns Award results announced recently are assessed around the country, a collaboration in Buncrana involving the local Town Council, Tidy Towns Committee and the Buncrana / West Inishowen Historical Society is celebrating a major accolade.
The Buncrana Lighthouse Restoration Project won the Heritage Award.
The eight metre tall lighthouse (pictured above) was first established on the Buncrana Pier in January 1876 and it was converted from oil to acetylene in 1916 and onto electric in 1951.
It was decommissioned in 2009 by Irish Lights and restored and erected on the Shore Front a year later.